Day 79 – My journey to find reasons to vote for Hillary rather than just against Trump.
She cares about our mental health.
Hillary’s focus on mental health as a critical component to our overall well-being has been incorporated into much of the legislation she’s sponsored over the years including veterans’ bills, first-responders coverage after 9/11 and in her numerous childcare efforts.
The critical shift in her plan that infuses all of her efforts equates mental health with physical health and cares for them concurrently. With one in five Americans suffering from some form of mental health issue, including depression and anxiety, this affects virtually every family and community in some way. The key components of her efforts are:
• Integrate mental health care with physical health for access, care and treatment, eliminating coverage caps, for example, by insurance companies and providing treatment in rural areas.
• Create a national initiative for suicide prevention with special emphasis on children of color and LGBT youth, who are most at risk.
• Train police to deal most appropriately with mental health issues and those who suffer from them.
• Prioritize treatment over jail for low-level offenders.
• Provide housing support so the mentally ill aren’t homeless and untreatable.
The Mental Health Parity and Addiction Equity Act of 2008, which Clinton co-sponsored as a senator, requires group health plans to provide the same level of benefits for mental health as other medical conditions. While this is law, it’s not happening. Clinton will strengthen federal monitoring to make insurance companies comply with this law.
Anyone interested in Mr. Trump’s mental health initiatives will find them referenced in the Healthline and US News articles. The Healthline article is more comprehensive in its coverage.