Day 75 – My journey to find reasons to vote for Hillary rather than just against Trump.
As First Lady, Hillary put the needs of children in foster care first.
Working with Senator John Chafee (R-RI), she spearheaded the Adoption and Safe Families Act (ASFA) as well as the Foster Care Independence Act.
The mission of the act was to prioritize the needs of the children rather than the needs of the parents. John Chafee said, “We will not continue the current system of always putting the needs and rights of the biological parents first. … It’s time we recognize that some families simply cannot and should not be kept together.”
In addition, some of the ASFA’s provisions:
• shorten the time-frame for a child’s first permanency hearing;
• offer states financial incentives for increasing the number of adoptions;
• set new requirements for states to petition for termination of parental rights;
• reauthorize the Family Preservation and Support Program.
The Foster Care Independence Act:
• Provides health insurance for those who went through the foster system without being adopted.
• Offers training and education for foster kids transitioning to adulthood.
• Funds independent living arrangements as they leave the system
• Improves documentation of children as they move through the system.
Hillary cited the Act as the achievement that she initiated and shepherded that provided her with the greatest satisfaction.